Re: [ihc] Simply Shocking...

John Hofstetter wrote:
You know, Pete, I have Ranchos on my Scout more to "look good" than any other specific reason. On my GC, I have shocks my son got me from his supplier (CarQuest) for a very good price. They are generic, made by either Gabriel or Monroe (I've forgotten), are top of the line in quality, and seem to be very good shocks.
Not sure how the ranchos compare to other shocks in general, but I
really like being able to dial in different settings for front vs back.
 I usually run the back kind of soft and the front kind of firm and the
ride ends up really smooth.  I suppose if you end up carrying enough
spare axles, gas can, etc then perhaps this doesn't matter much though.

I've had three other types of shocks (monroe, Doesch Tech, KYB
gas-adjusts) and they all gave rides so stiff my fillings fell out,
bolts came loose, and hitch-hikers begged to be dropped off.

Also noticed that the springs have a big impact: my 1980 scout with 4"
triangle springs undulates smoothly along like a ship at sea.  But my
wife's 1978 traveler with xlt springs and same shocks is firmer - and a
little jarring.

ken