[ihc] Simply Shocking...

Greetings,

I think its time for some shocks for the Scout. I'm pondering what the
choices are. Three  brands seem to immediately jump out: 1) Rough Country 2)
Rancho 3) Sky Jacker.

I have #1 and I believe they were part of the original lift kit for the
Scout, but I believe they're far past their useful life. Since I'm not the
original purchaser of the shocks, I can't claim the lifetime warranty for
the Rough Country (Heckethorn) shocks.  I can only describe the current ride
as nothing less than bone jarring! It's reached a point where I'm afraid
that something is going to break if this keeps up. What is a minor bump in
most other vehicles is a jarring blow in the Scout. A stiff suspension is
one thing... No suspension is quite another!  Time for a change.

Also, even if I wanted to go the Heckethorn route, they only appear to be
available as part of their lift kit. I couldn't see them as stand-alone
items on their web page.

So, I'm collecting opinions on brands #2 & #3.  Of those 2 brands mentioned
which do you prefer?  Also, if you know of a good mail order source for
them.  Also, I was cornfused by the Skyjacker site - it wasn't clear (to me)
what the differences were between the different models they have (IIRC, they
had 2 models for the front and 2 more for the back, but I couldn't find
anything telling me which model is optimal for what.

And if there are folks that are mainly on roaders (like me), and you've
found Brand X at AutoZone work as well as anything, let me know!

All comments appreciated!

Cheers,

--Pete