[ihc] By the B numbers

>Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 15:12:29 -0700 (PDT)
>From: David Raistrick <keen@domain.elided>
>Subject: [ihc] B chassis numbers, air pressure?

>..other then the door ID plate and the lineset, where would I find the
>chassis numbers on a B series truck?  I assume that there would be a
>number stamped into the cab and the frame somewhere....but perhaps I'm
>wrong.

>Anyone?  I hope to be able to point these out to the DMV inspector
>monday...and it would be good to find them before hand!:)

The unit serial #(not the whole VIN) is on the outside face of the driver's
side frame rail, toward the front(roughly in the area of the steering gear).
The #'s on the cab are on the data plate ;). The engine serial # has no
relationship to the VIN, FWIW.

>Also, anyone have any idea what sort of air pressure IH recommended for
>16x7.5" tubed tires? (3/4 ton truck pressures, I suppose...)

Check the tire max pressure on the sidewall. I derate from there according
to the approx. load. Ferinstance, a 50PSI rated tire on a mostly unloaded
truck usually gets run at 35-40PSI on my stuff. Completely unloaded I might
run the rears lower for better ride, but generally not so there's some load
carrying reserve without airing up. Helps to read the 'footprint' for your
truck/tire combo to get a feel for that specific setup, 'tho' this is easier
with radials than skinny bias plys. At the other end of the spectrum is
Jan's Excursion, which is a heavy motha. Takes the full 50PSI to make the
tires round ;).

Jim