RE: [ihc] Diesel Injector Question

Hi

Not to brag but I have been a motorhead for 25 years. Specifically diesel from 25-5000 hp. I travel 13 states servicing Diesel generators for high profile sites including NASA, USAF, FEMA, hospitols and airports. I just want to qualify myself to offer assistance.
It is a little harder to Diag. off site but not impossible. If you wouldnt mind I would like to offer my help.
I have read the post responding to yours and wish only to add to this advise.

1) Diesel requires; compression, air, fuel, injection timing
2) Ether can be used on a glow plug engine if the glow plugs are disabled
3) Injection pumps are operate and shut off either by an electronic solenoid or by mechanical means. Does this scout have a mechanical shut off or does it shut off with the key?
3) Cylinders will dry out if the engine does not run for an extended period of time and depending on ambient conditions. Also rings may stick or cylinders rust. All contribute to loss of compression. I have in the past used the glow plug holes to perform compression test. Some glow plug engines use a glow plug located in the intake to warm incoming air. Obviously this wont enable a comp test.
4) Sucking air, This is one of those instances where you have to forget gas and think diesel. Sucking air can can exhibit a wide array of symptoms and yet is unique to specifice engine design.
Sucking air is when there is a comprmise in a seal on the suction side of the injection or lift pump. I do not use the term leak because usually there is no apparent leak. However when the engine is cranking/running air is sucked into the fuel line and usually accumulates in the injection pump. This causes many different problems and a miriad of symptoms. Also many times the injection lines will show fuel when cranked but insufficient to pop off the nozzle.

The questions I would ask are
1) Howlong was this engine sitting and where
2)Did the engine run. Did You see it run
3)Does the engine spin like there is no compression?
4)Usually there is a tining mark on or in the pump, accesable by a cover. is the timing mark on. Has the inj. pump been replaced?

Let me know I would like to help

Dion
71 1010 4x4 T'all
72 1010 T'all