RE: [ihc] Shockingly blue

## >> However, I'm *really* tired of cleaning up after 'wet'
## >> lead/acid batteries.
## >> So when 4WPW sent me an email that their 'orbital' batteries
## >> were $99.95 I
## >> couldn't resist. These are the Exide version of the Optima concept,
## >> identical to what CSK sells.
<<===SNIP!===>>
## >> Time will tell about the service life, but they sure seem
## >> like a good deal.
## >> That sale price has been repeated a few times in the past month or so.

i read this post, and then Ed Sohm's post, and i thought i'd add somewhat to
the mix.

here on this military base, at the PX, there's a little multi-bay auto
service place called the "autopride shop".  basically a glorified tire and
battery shop.  they sell batteries, tires, they do oil changes, basic
service stuff, nothing heavy, all fairly low priced and 100% tax-free.
anyway, they sell Optima batteries there.  here's a rundown of the current
Optima specs and prices (i just drove over there and checked):

Red Top DT75:   $99.95 (in stock)
CA 910   CCA 720   RC 120

Blue Top D34:   $139.95 (in stock)
MCA 870   CCA 750

Blue Top D34M-950:   $139.95 (in stock)
MCA 870   CCA 550   AH 55   RC 120

Yellow Top 3478DT:  $149.00 (in stock)
CA 870   CCA 750   AH 55   RC 120

Yellow Top D34/78-950:   $149.00 (in stock)
CA 870   CCA 550   AH 55   RC 120

those are current prices and availability in the store.  i believe they can
order any Optima you want if they don't have what you're looking for on
hand.  did i mention it's compleatly tax free?  those are, in my opinion,
pretty good prices.  sometimes they even have sales on their batteries,
which can range from 10% off to as much as 40% off (i've never seen an
Optima more than 20% off here, though).  you can also order these things
from the online AAFES store or telephone ordering system (if you're entitled
to those benefits and know where to look or what to ask for), and usually
the shipping is free.  can't beat that.

i haven't ponied up the dough yet, but i think i'm gonna pretty soon.  one
of the batteries in the TravelAll died a few days ago, so it's time to
replace it.  i'm seriously considering a pair of Red Tops (replace one,
gotta replace both, am i right?).  i don't really need anything more than a
Red Top, though those Yellow Tops are tempting, and the price isn't bad,
certainly less than was paid for the 1000CCA wet cell battery that just
died.  if they work out okay, then maybe another Red Top for the Scout.
might consider the Blue Tops, but for only ten dollars difference, why not
go the extra and get the Yellow?

the usual Mac nickel, and grain of salt disclaimer.

--Mac

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde
TyrGothi

http://master.triad.ath.cx/
---
This message is certified Virus Free.  However;
Don't take *my* word for it, check it yourself.