Re: [ihc] Shockingly blue

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mac McMuffin" <mac@domain.elided>
To: "Jim Grammer" <jgrammer@domain.elided>; <ihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Monday, May 17, 2004 9:34 AM
Subject: RE: [ihc] Shockingly blue

> ## >> However, I'm *really* tired of cleaning up after 'wet'
> ## >> lead/acid batteries.
> ## >> So when 4WPW sent me an email that their 'orbital' batteries
> ## >> were $99.95 I
> ## >> couldn't resist. These are the Exide version of the Optima concept,
> ## >> identical to what CSK sells.
> <<===SNIP!===>>
> ## >> Time will tell about the service life, but they sure seem
> ## >> like a good deal.
> ## >> That sale price has been repeated a few times in the past month or
so.

> i read this post, and then Ed Sohm's post, and i thought i'd add somewhat
> the mix.
>
> here on this military base, at the PX, there's a little multi-bay auto
> service place called the "autopride shop".  basically a glorified tire and
> battery shop.  they sell batteries, tires, they do oil changes, basic
> service stuff, nothing heavy, all fairly low priced and 100% tax-free.
> anyway, they sell Optima batteries there.  here's a rundown of the current
> Optima specs and prices (i just drove over there and checked):
>
> Red Top DT75:   $99.95 (in stock)
> CA 910   CCA 720   RC 120
>
> Blue Top D34:   $139.95 (in stock)
> MCA 870   CCA 750
>
> Blue Top D34M-950:   $139.95 (in stock)
> MCA 870   CCA 550   AH 55   RC 120
>
> Yellow Top 3478DT:  $149.00 (in stock)
> CA 870   CCA 750   AH 55   RC 120
>
> Yellow Top D34/78-950:   $149.00 (in stock)
> CA 870   CCA 550   AH 55   RC 120
>
> those are current prices and availability in the store.  i believe they
can
> order any Optima you want if they don't have what you're looking for on
> hand.  did i mention it's compleatly tax free?  those are, in my opinion,
> pretty good prices.  sometimes they even have sales on their batteries,
> which can range from 10% off to as much as 40% off (i've never seen an
> Optima more than 20% off here, though).  you can also order these things
> from the online AAFES store or telephone ordering system (if you're
entitled
> to those benefits and know where to look or what to ask for), and usually
> the shipping is free.  can't beat that.
>
> i haven't ponied up the dough yet, but i think i'm gonna pretty soon.  one
> of the batteries in the TravelAll died a few days ago, so it's time to
> replace it.  i'm seriously considering a pair of Red Tops (replace one,
> gotta replace both, am i right?).  i don't really need anything more than
> Red Top, though those Yellow Tops are tempting, and the price isn't bad,
> certainly less than was paid for the 1000CCA wet cell battery that just
> died.  if they work out okay, then maybe another Red Top for the Scout.
> might consider the Blue Tops, but for only ten dollars difference, why not
> go the extra and get the Yellow?
>
> the usual Mac nickel, and grain of salt disclaimer.
>
> --Mac
A few years ago (4?) I purchased a blue top optima for my camper.  It did
not have the reserve I wanted so with the concept that the optima would
stand vibration and heat better than the lead acid I made some modifications
and put the blue top in my motorcycle.  After a year I  took it out and put
the lead acid back in.  I used the Optima for approximately 2 years.   This
is my limited experience with the Blue Top.  I might have bought a bad one.
Cheeres Jim,

Jim Aos
jaos@domain.elided
Okanogan, WA