RE: [ihc] Simply Shocking...

Hey John & Fellow / Woman Binder Owners,

Thanks so much for replying. You know I always enjoy hearing from you, and
there might even be a special barb or two in here just for you! ;-)

: You know, Pete, I have Ranchos on my Scout more to "look
: good" than any other specific reason. On my GC, I have shocks

What? No comments on the functionality of the Ranchos?  Do they suck or are
they halfway worth the money? Are they only mediocre?

The biggest reason I was looking elsewhere - besides the local parts house -
is because I wasn't sure (ok, I ASSumed!) if they would be able to
reference, let alone actually stock an over-the-counter shock (Gabriel,
Monroe, etc.) that would fit a lifted Scout.

: my son got me from his supplier (CarQuest) for a very good
: price. They are generic, made by either Gabriel or Monroe
: (I've forgotten), are top of the line in quality, and seem to
: be very good shocks.

I've had above average success with Gabriel's.  Dunno 'bout Monroe's
personally (but Marilyn was pretty hot back in the day, eh?).

: For your use, unless you are peer conscious, I suggest you
: shop price and quality rather than a brand that has name value.

Nahhh. Not too many other peers around here. My Scout spends most of its
days towing my carcass to/from work. Or more recently, looking for work!

: My Trailmaster lift kit came with what I thought were
: Bilsteins, and I always admired how great they were. After

Aren't these the folks that have the (in)famous tranny enema maachine or
something?  Never done it myself but see ads now and then.  I know their
shocks are supposed to be awesome. Respected in certain racing circles from
what I hear.

<snip!>

: for Trailmaster and weren't Bilsteins at all. Man, a lot of
: this stuff is in the head!

Amen bro!  Obliquely reminds me... As I speak, I'm "killing time" while I do
a SeaFoam purging on the Scout. It was starting to sound a little lethargic.
I also bought some Autolite 85's (thanks Tom!). I thought maybe some fancy
schmancy platinum plug (pondered Bosch or NGK) might make some big
difference and help push me up into the 10+MPG range instead of the usual
9.x MPG I've been "enjoying" lately. I thought before I resort to a carb
rebuild, I'd try a can of SeaFoam and some fresh plugs (wires are fairly
recent), didn't have cap & rotor in stock this morning. Ugggh. But recently
I've read some things that basically said those high dollar plugs aren't
even worth putting in the lawn mower. I dunno. I DO know I don't want those
ol' Split/Splitfires you've been trying to fob off on the digest for the
past 10 years! ;->>>

But seriously, thanks John.  You confirmed what I suspected. I probably
should contact some shock vendors (Gab, Monroe, etc.) and ASK THEM to refer
me to a specific model# and I can have the local boys order it. Money IS
tight around here, as you know. A possible job offer - if it ever matures.
Time will tell. Very ironic venue, if it happens! More later.

I'm sure the Illuminati on the list will know of SeaFoam for their tranny
tune-up, etc. I haven't seen a reference on this list (at least for a while)
on anyone using the "engine tune-up".  There is a reference at:
http://stevenbigler.tripod.com/scoutco/id14.html
I don't know this fellow.  I would check my local car parts dealer before
buying it mailorder though! Steve does tell the basic story, though!

Gotta go fire up the Scout now - it's "done" soaking. Time for the purge.
Neighbors will prob call fire department!

Happy Trails,

--Pete