Re: [ihc] Shockingly blue

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ed Sohm" <idaemes@domain.elided>

As somebody who spends about 1200 dollars a year on all sorts of batteries,
I have come to the conlusion that:

Optima Yellow Tops are pretty good for every day use, and have more cranking
power when new than comparably rated wet cells. Ratings are often made in
ideal circumstances.

Gel cell batteries are preferable to wet cell batteries in 4x4s, but for
vehicles that will not be going off road, the extra money is wasted.

I have an account at Interstate Battery. I get them wholesale, which is a
LOT cheaper than retail. Cars get Interstates because they are "okay"
batteries. I also use their small gel cells for alarm systems. They work
just fine, too.

If I wanted to try the ultimate battery, I would call the folks that were
selling the on-board welders at Tulare. They have a direct exchange first
two years, long term pro-rated warranty, and I really liked the confidence
they had in them. More expensive than an optima, but they were convinced it
was a much better battery, too.

I have had poor experiences with Exide batteries for a long time. They
bought out a division of a company I've used for 20 years just a few years
ago, and the quality control went down. I went from zero defects to "an
occasional bad one" within the first year.

-Allan