RE: [ihc] Shockingly blue

Jim,
Not to rain on your parade, but I have a little story.

Our local NAPA carried these Exide spirals for a while and when I
inquired about them, the counterman told me that every single one they
had sold had come back to them.  Small town, so he may have been only
talking about 5 or so.  A year later or so, July of 02, our local farm
store had 3 Exide spiral cells on their clearance table for $75 each.
Their explanation was that they were no longer doing business with Exide
and since these were expensive, they were the last to go.  I bought one
for me, one for my brother in law, and my dad bought one on my advice.
8 months later one died, dropped a cell.  The farm store wouldn't take
it because they didn't have one like it to trade.  They now carry
Optimas, but wouldn't give me one of them. <shucks> The Napa no longer
carries Exide either.  We have a Pamida store, kind of a regional
department (discount?) store and I noticed that they had some spiral
cell Exides at $130 each.  They weren't supposed to trade me because
they hadn't sold it to me, but they were in the process of getting rid
of all the high month (72+) Exides because they had so much trouble with
them coming back.  Plus, they like me (small town again). All 3 current
ones seem to be working fine, but we are a long way from 84 months.
We'll see how they hold up.

I'm cheap like you and couldn't pass up a deal.  I am holding the
receipts pretty tight though.  I'll bet I can keep trading until Pamida
is out of them, then I guess I will have to dig up the Exide 800 number
or find another store somewhere that carries Exide. The two Pamida has
left will just keep getting older.

I hope that someone else has had the opposite experience with Exide
Spirals.  Maybe someday, some store will trade me for an Optima. Maybe I
won't have any more problems.

Ed Sohm
Battle Creek, IA

'71 800 B
'74 200 4X4 Travelette Camper Special (Exide Spiral cell)
+ a bunch more
'96 2500 Suburban (Exide Spiral Cell)