Re: [ihc] hello all

----- Original Message -----
From: "Spencer Cordingley" <scord@domain.elided>
To: <ihc-digest@domain.elided>
Sent: Sunday, May 09, 2004 4:14 PM
Subject: [ihc] hello all

> hello fellow IH owners,
>
> I soon will maybe owning my own IH pickup, its a 1968 1200C truck, 2x4
> straight axle front, which gives it that old school gasser look if you
decide
> to "jack" up the truck.
>
> either way, as I was looking at this truck and surprising that since I'm
up
> here in Canada that there was only two spots of rust, there on either side
of
> the truck, in the inner fender wheel wells , on the cab, which is a real
easy
> fix for me, but the rest of the vehicle is complete, the interior is there
but
> like most older vehicles its been though hell and back, the dash is
cracked,
> there's no headliner and the bench seat is missing pieces of foam. the
engine
> is the inline 6 with the 1-bbl carb, the tranny is the manual 4 speed. it
use
> to be column shift but one of the previous owners decided to change it to
> floorshift, which looks pretty neat.
>
> the truck has been sitting for about 20 plus years or so, I know that I
have
> to replace all the pads, and seals in the drum brakes, a friend is looking
> into the prices for me about rebuild kits for the braking system. the
> windshield has a small crack in the passenger side, which means it should
pass
> safety with out a prob.
>
> hope to keep you all informed about the truck if I get it, which I
probably
> will because of the great price.

Spencer-

The brake drums for this truck are nearly impossible to find. YOU MUST BABY
them, forever and ever. The shoes, wheel cylinders, and master cylinder are
common items. Since the rear axles are full floaters, you will need to
repack the bearings every few months as you do the check of the condition of
the shoes. You will also not be able to depend on the brakes self-adjusting.
This is very important.

I have several of these trucks, both in 1100 and 1200 series. The 1200C was
the last of its breed, as IH went to a different body style in 69.

There are several folks on IHC digest who own these trucks, and it should be
a great truck to own. The 6 cylinder engines that came with these beasts
were boilerplate, and you can expect a very long life from a fresh engine.

-Allan