Re: [ihc] Weird engine problem - calling the experts

Ok, thanks for the help so far. I haven't been out to the garage but here is a response to some of your ideas:

Slower check and repair:  pull the intake, knock out all of the welch
plugs, remove the EGR, chisel out the coke, and take it to a shop to have
it hot tanked, shotpeened, and magnafluxed.  Either you will find a crack
or your wont.
I had taken the intake to the machine shop. It was hot tanked, shot blasted and I think I had it magna-fluxed at the same time but I can't find the receipt so I'm not sure. I don't remember anything about there being plugs underneath so, if I end up pulling the intake, I will check these.

I have removed the EGR and put a plate over the opening. Could this be causing the problem?

Vacuum leak.  Get a can of starting fluid, some use WD40.  Spray a
little squirt here and there around where leaks may be.  If the idle
picks up or changes, it's pulling in the fluid as extra fuel(along
with air).
I've also heard you can use propane to do this. Has anyone tried this?

Another point to check would be distributor function.  IE, what's the
timing doing when it's acting weird?
Yes, that is something I will check out. Maybe I will just get a new distributor. Anyone have any good sources for these? Can I just order one from NAPA?

I think this answers most of the suggestions you had. Some new stuff for me to check.

Thanks
Scott