From: Scott Machalk
Date: 5/9/2004 9:02:43 PM
To: ihc-digest@domain.elided
Subject: Re: [ihc] Weird engine problem - calling the experts

Ok, thanks for the help so far. I haven't been out to the garage but here
is a response to some of your ideas:

>Slower check and repair:  pull the intake, knock out all of the welch
>plugs, remove the EGR, chisel out the coke, and take it to a shop to have
>it hot tanked, shotpeened, and magnafluxed.  Either you will find a crack
>or your wont.

I had taken the intake to the machine shop. It was hot tanked, shot blasted
and I think I had it magna-fluxed at the same time but I can't find the
receipt so I'm not sure. I don't remember anything about there being plugs
underneath so, if I end up pulling the intake, I will check these.

I have removed the EGR and put a plate over the opening. Could this be
causing the problem?

>Vacuum leak.  Get a can of starting fluid, some use WD40.  Spray a
>little squirt here and there around where leaks may be.  If the idle
>picks up or changes, it's pulling in the fluid as extra fuel(along
>with air).

I've also heard you can use propane to do this. Has anyone tried this?

>Another point to check would be distributor function.  IE, what's the
>timing doing when it's acting weird?

Yes, that is something I will check out. Maybe I will just get a new
distributor. Anyone have any good sources for these? Can I just order one
from NAPA?

I think this answers most of the suggestions you had. Some new stuff for me
to check.

Thanks
Scot

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of IMSTP.gif]