Re: [ihc] RE: David's IH quest

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Raistrick" <keen@domain.elided>
To: "Jim Grammer" <jgrammer@domain.elided>
Cc: <ihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 09:58
Subject: Re: [ihc] RE: David's IH quest

> On Tue, 20 Apr 2004, Jim Grammer wrote:
>

> > For towing, '67 - '68 1200 long bed. Can you say 'dual circuit brakes'?
;)

> Ahh, good point!  Dual circuit is good.  Are there any updates for the
> earlier trucks (a master cyl and a bit of plumbing, perhaps) to retrofit
> a dual circuit system?

Anything is possible with enough effort...

> > Sounds like you plan to pull a typical 7000#GVW flatbed. I'd check the
> > actual trailer weight, I've yet to see a 1200# trailer that I'd trust to
> > haul a 5000# truck on. My 18' hauler is 1600# bare and really could be
built
> > heavier, it's pretty bare bones.
>
> Thanks.  Trailer is as-yet unpurchased, waiting on a truck to pull it
> with.  Specificly, I've got a pair of '62/63 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron's I
> need to bring home...and of course whatever IHC steel that comes along to
> feed the collection. :)
>

> > Nice thing about a 4WD is you can swap in disk brakes or a disk brake
front
> > axle. Expect a 2WD to need a king pin kit unless they've just been done
on
> > the PO's dime.
>
> Would this apply to the 50's trucks as well as the 60's trucks?  Where
> would the replacements be sourced from? 70's IHCs, or the GMC parts that
> someone mentioned earlier?

If you go with a new front axle you'll probobly want to swap the rear too
and go with 8lug instead of the 5 or 6 lug (big pattern) the truck will
probobly have.

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/6/8/69758668.htm
Nice looking truck from the picture, someone put a dodge or something bed on
it though.

> > Yes. As Allan mentioned, a 130 would be even better(bigger rear brakes).
Not
> > many around with pickup beds tho'.
>
> True.  Could the one-ton axle be run with single-wheels, then install a
> pickup bed of the right size?

Yes, was looking for a crewcab setup like that with a short box that had
been for sale, didn't see it this time though.

> > > or could the 3/4 ton suspension and axle be bolted into a 1/2 ton
> >
> > Yes, provided we leave the torsion bar IFS 100/1000 out of the
discussion.

> Of course. :)  How extensive are the frame differences between the 1/2 and
> 3/4 of any year? Would the 1/2 ton frame be up to the task?

Probobly with what you want to do... I'd like to start out with 3/4 ton or
heavier, but that's me... others don't think it's a big deal.

> ..and back to the split rims.  What's the problem with them (my ignorance
> shows here, I'm sure:)? (short of finding someone who'll mount tires on
> them.)  Dangerous? Not up to the load? Won't work with radials? Need
> tubes?
>
> Thanks for everyones help so far. Still learning...
>
> ...david

Split rims are stronger, they aren't dangerous once they are on the vehicle
any more than a normal rim.  You have to use tubes if you use radials with
them (have to always use tubes with them).

-Ryan

---