[ihc] bed interchange, was: David's IH quest

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004, Ryan Moore wrote:

> http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/6/8/69758668.htm
> Nice looking truck from the picture, someone put a dodge or something bed on
> it though.

Still no further pictures..I'm gonna call him tomorrow, and I do hope to
get out there this weekend.

On the bed issue...how would I determine what beds I could install on this
truck?

Obviously flatbeds and the like are fairly straightforward to modify and
fit..but I'd much rather drop a stepside bed on it, eventually.

Note that I've never removed a bed from any truck (only trucks I've had
were unibody Rabbit Pickups) at this point.

I'm assuming that the two major factors are going to be overall-length
from the cab to the tailgate, and the length from the cab to the center of
the rear axle.

Width, I suspect, is reasonably the same between 58 and 68 (and on?),
judging from the commentary regarding suspension swaps across the various
frames...Obviously there are short, standard, and long beds, plus the
extended-length trucks to deal with.

Specificly I've got a line on a '68 stepside that I could remove from said
truck and drop on it till I find the "right" bed.  White, but better'n a
Dodge!:)  I'm asking the owner of the '68 to grab a few measurements, and
I'll measure the Dodge this weekend. (and take lots of pictures!)

Any thoughts, or measurements from your own beds to compare? :)

thanks guys, you've been a ton of help!

--
        David Raistrick    http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html
keen@domain.elided	   http://www.expita.com/nomime.html