[ihc] Starter Sticking On Question

This is all on a '77 Scout II Diesel (Non-turbo).

Okay, I got my starter back today after getting it rebuilt by the "reputable"
shop that was recommended on here. Total cost was $131.25, after an initial
estimate of $150, so I was pleased.

I got it home, replaced the cable ends to work on the new style "screw down"
battery terminals, and hooked her up. No big issues-I thought I was getting a
minor "zzpt" when attaching the second cable-possibly some kind of small draw,
but if so, it was so small I STILL wasn't sure!

So, get it all hooked up, prime up the injectors, turn on the key, hit the
glow plug circuit button, wait a little bit (20 or so seconds), hit it again,
wait a bit longer, then turn the key. The thing just starts turning away!
Great! This was really only the "test" attempt, as I have the rad out and the
belts off, etc from when I was trying to get the socket on to turn the engine
over by hand before risking it with the starter. So, quickly turn off the key
and...it KEEPS turning over and over and over and over and... Well, I had it
screwed on, so it was no easy task to simply disconnect the cable-had to grab
my ratchet (which luckily was still sitting nearby with the appropriate socket
on it!) and unscrew it while the thing is turning over, the connector is
sparking and the nut/connector are starting to glow by the time I get it
off!!!

After I get it off, I make sure the key is turned back off, along with
everything inside, and try to reattach the cable. It is still live, giving me
a spark. I look around to make sure everything is off again, and it gives a
spark again. Try a third time, and I can now reattach the cable. I think MAYBE
just the solenoid was sticking due to newness. Try again, same results all the
way around. So-it seems that something is sticking in the starter switch,
because it always takes a few seconds for everything to settle before I can
reattach the cable. Does this make sense?

I have had solenoids stick before, but they always released once I
disconnected the cable. Thus, I am thinking this must be actually IN the
ignition switch. I figure I will go buy a remote starter switch for the moment
to test it, but anyone have any suggestions?

This is the first time I have ever fired this engine up, so I don't KNOW that
everything works right the way it is wired, but the prior owner said he drove
it, and I trust him, so I am guessing everything is working as it is wired.

Any suggestions/advice appreciated!

Thanks!

Michael