Re: [ihc] Joel's Towing Issues

Joel, from reading through your problems with towrigs, I think what you need is simply a bigger truck with a larger motor, designed with heavy hauling in mind (at least as far as wind resistance goes). I think a 4700 under CDL truck would work great for your app. You can ditch the V8 diesel, and go straight to the DT466, and pick then decide how many horses you need. Standard tranny is the Eaton 6+ (basically just a straight 7 speed). Based on my expereinces with the 4700 we have at work (and we load it HEAVY, moving truck), moving up to a 10 speed might be smart. You'd have to do a little reasearch about gears, but IH will still put in whatever you want. Last but not least it's almost scarry how small the price difference is between a light 4700 class truck and a new 1 ton PU. Not to mention that the 4700 will last longer and hold it's value better.

Oops, almost forgot, you can also order air brakes on a 4700, worth their weight in gold IMHO, but you might need an endorcement for them in some states, even on a non CDL rig.

Dave