Re: [ihc] Joel's Towing Issues

At 8:35 PM -0600 4/13/04, Dave Nuenke wrote:
Joel, from reading through your problems with towrigs, I think what you need is simply a bigger truck with a larger motor, designed with heavy hauling in mind (at least as far as wind resistance goes). I think a 4700 under CDL truck would work great for your app. Last but not least it's almost scarry how small the price difference is between a light 4700 class truck and a new 1 ton PU. Not to mention that the 4700 will last longer and hold it's value better.
Oops, almost forgot, you can also order air brakes on a 4700, worth their weight in gold IMHO, but you might need an endorcement for them in some states, even on a non CDL rig.
Dave
Dave,
Thanks for all your thoughts, and they're right on.
Honestly, though, any 3/4 or 1 ton long bed with a diesel or bib block/V10 is adequate. I mean, I don't really need to do 75 across the West, i just like to. And on the flat, in a calm, I can run 75 easily.
The big problem is that I'm never the one deciding what the tow vehicle is. Ten years ago, we were all pleased when the truck was new, regardless of what it was -- my first tow run was in a short bed 1500 Chevy with a TBI 350! Only in the last 5 years have teams had the $$ and sense to upgrade. I did tow with a F550 once, even though it was stock PS it was niiiiice.
Now, the problem is that my tow vehicle is my boss's "courtesy" car. He drives it every day, and I get it only for trips, so a big truck is out of the question.
Plus, we run just under (and perhaps, arguably under) the limits for DOT and operating authority, etc, and a discussion of that would be wicked off-topic. Going to a bigger rig would garner a lot of attention from The Man.
To finally bring something on topic, the trailer did look good behind my '70 1200 travelette long bed. And I'd like to hook it up to the B184 for a short run. And we always thought it would be a hoot to pre-place it near a regatta and hitch it to the Airporter for the final few miles, with the team on-board, too.
:-)
Best to all,
joel

--
Joel Furtek <http://homepage.mac.com/heelsroll>; jf7e@domain.elided
Boatman, Virginia Women's Rowing 434/981-6811 (cell); 434/975-CREW (boathouse)