[ihc] 3/1, surplus, CUCV's again

At 5:13 AM -0700 4/6/04, Allan Ericson wrote:
Joel-
I'm making the assumption here that this generator has the right (120V)
output voltages. If so, the answer is yes, you can easily convert it for
home use. There is no need, in many cases, to balance the load of a 3 phase
generator when it's designed to operate in single and 3 phase mode,
especially if the load is light.  The 240V appliances, such as water
heaters, ovens, air conditioners, welders, and dryers will require some
thought.
-Allan

Allan, Ryan, Greg, et al,
First, to provide IH content, here's a genset from when IH owned Solar (before Cat picked it up).
<http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=360001&convertTo=USD>
Not like I'm ready to go to HI to pick it up, though, why not?
This one caught my eye just in a, oh, man, that's cool, and it's close.
<http://web.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=349159>
As I look closer, it's 400cy, so probably not even close. But it'd be pretty cool to keep it in storage and just fire it up, drive it over to the power box, and go. :-)
I will one of these days pick up a back-up power source, I live in the sticks of the Virginia piedmont and power is always at risk in storms. I'll probably end up with a lower-end 5000KW portable unit, though I'd really like one that kicks in on propane (500-gallon tank in the yard).
Dredging up again the CUCV discussion of axles, the engine-less trucks seem to be going $600+ and the running units 1200+ right now and rising!
If you ever have a lot of time to kill, check out the wild stuff for auction at govliquidation, it's amazing what's out there.
Best,
Joel

--
Joel Furtek <http://homepage.mac.com/heelsroll>; jf7e@domain.elided
Boatman, Virginia Women's Rowing 434/981-6811 (cell); 434/975-CREW (boathouse)