Re: [ihc] 3/1 phase question

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joel Furtek" <jf7e@domain.elided>
To: <ihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Monday, April 05, 2004 7:04 PM
Subject: [ihc] 3/1 phase question

> Fellow binders,
> Please forgive the off-topic question, but I recall a rather lengthy
> discussion of 1 and 3 phase electrics some time ago.  Could a kind
> soul email me (off-list if advised) with a rather simple readers'
> digest version of an answer to this question:  Could a 3-phase
> generator (ex mil, self propelled) reasonably be adapted to power a
> home (single-phase)?

Joel-

I'm making the assumption here that this generator has the right (120V)
output voltages. If so, the answer is yes, you can easily convert it for
home use. There is no need, in many cases, to balance the load of a 3 phase
generator when it's designed to operate in single and 3 phase mode,
especially if the load is light.  The 240V appliances, such as water
heaters, ovens, air conditioners, welders, and dryers will require some
thought.

If you would provide the specs on the generator, primarily on-board output
configuration,  it would help. There are several voltages available, and
even different frequencies. An aircraft or radar installation generator
might put out 400 Hz, for example, which would be a waste of time. A
generator that only has a single 3 phase output might or might not be
suitable. A generator that has on board 120VAC outputs is probably a good
bet, but the method by which the voltage is derived must be (and this is not
difficult) determined.

-Allan