Re: [ihc] Re: Humphrey's Coil Voltage

	Thanks John. As usual you have been a wealth of information. I didn't
know that starters could go bad in this way. First thing on my project
list is to test and if need be replace my starter. Actually, I will get
mine rebuilt. Another lesson I learned from the invaluable digest.
Hopefully this will fix my Pro-Jection problem as well.

George H.
72 Scout II
345 V8

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 19:46:12 -0800 John Hofstetter <hofs@domain.elided>
writes:
> on 3/24/04 2:11 PM, George B Humphrey at xgbhx@domain.elided wrote:
>
> > You are probably right about this. I noticed a change in voltage
> draw,
> > after I installed the Ford solenoid. I've never changed the
> starter and
> > everything on the Scout was old or original when I bought it. How
> much
> > did your cheapo tester cost? Can auto parts stores do this test,
> without
> > removing the starter? I definitely will get it tested. Thank you
> for the
> > suggestion.
>
> I think the tester at JC Whitney was about $15. I don't know about
> auto
> stores testing amp draw without removing the starter. I'm sure that
> Snap-on
> makes an expensive tool to do this, but I don't know about AutoZone
> having
> one. <g>
> >
> > I made the conversion because the 345 puts out a lot of heat when
> > crawling through the desert. I figured as a preventative measure,
> to keep
> > me from sitting in 100+ weather waiting for the starter solenoid
> to cool
> > down, I would do the conversion.
>
> Good idea, but I'm pretty sure that you now need a starter. Except
> for
> brushes, the main wear in the starter motor is in the bushings, and
> worn
> bushings let the armature drag on the field coils. As I've already
> said,
> amperage draw can be horrendous.
> >
> John

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!