[ihc] Re: making a 1/2T a 3/4T

  Ryan-
  If you think that there are no civilian spec vehicles in the military, you
are dead wrong. You only have to look back to the 60's and 70's- the
military (some branches more than others) used Scouts and Scout II's. AFAIK,
and Howard can correct me on this if I'm wrong, there was no massive
military contract for Scouts. The specs were the same as those of other
contemporary Scouts and Scout II's. They had a need for such a vehicle in
numbers that didn't call for development and bidding and such, so they
ordered them. ANY branch of government (and Ed S. I'm sure can back me on
this) has 'loopholes' in the acquisition process that allows for buying
outright without going through all the hoops that are normally necessary. We
did it on occasion with squad cars, and the military does it with what they
need. It's actually a cost effective way to cut some red tape and get
limited numbers of specialized vehicles without the hassle of normal
government procurement. I bet Mac can do some 'scouting around' his place
and find us some vehicles that don't fit the 'mil-spec' definition.
  As for the Dodge full time units of the 70's, I'm REAL familiar with how
they worked- I had several, and had the front ends apart on them. There were
NO axle disconnects on those critters at all- that's why they were full
time. I HAD a heavy 3/4 ton Dodge with the full time, 8 lug HD Dana 44, and
the only difference between the layout of it and my normal five lug half ton
Dodge was the eight lug wheels.
  As for the military getting what they wanted, to some extent you are
correct- but WHY would the military be sourcing 8 lug Dana 44's for Chevy
pickups when they are already sourcing the 8 lug Dana 60 in the CUCV? And I
doubt GM would build a 'special' Dana 44 with no hubs and axle disconnects
for a limited number of military pickups- limited number because I can't
ever recall anyone mentioning such a beast. And, if the 10 bolt was good
enough in the CUCV Blazer, and the CUCV cargo vehicles like the pickup and
ambulance and shelter vehicle needed a 60, why confuse the parts issue even
more?  I think if you do some serious checking you will see those are Dodge
military axles, no matter what the guy tells you, and they won't have an
axle disconnect.
  Dennis