[ihc] Re: making a 1/2T a 3/4T

From: "Dennis Bernth" <scoutdude@domain.elided>
To: "Ryan Moore" <baradium@domain.elided>,<ihc@domain.elided>
Subject: Re: making a 1/2T a 3/4T
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 09:29:37 -0600
<snip off mime headers>
  IF there are 3/4 ton Chevy pickups in the military, they're probably
locally sourced or gotten from GSA and are not mil-spec. There was a half
ton Chevy 4x4 on Ebay a while back that was supposedly bought from a DRMO
auction; it was painted up like a CUCV, but was half ton civilian all the
way. I would guess that local bases have some leeway when they need a
utility vehicle to requistion one from GSA, who probably had a lot full of
Chevy 4x4's that they had bought for the USFWS, Forest Service, National
Parks, etc.
except that's not how the military does things... all thier vehicles are specifically built for the military and are a mil-spec, just of a different type.

I'm aware the Dodges weren't tabbed as CUCV's, I used that terminology
because they are what the GM CUCV's replaced. I don't know what the military
called em to be honest.
The guy with the axles either doesn't know what he has or what they came
from, or they're not what he says they are. AFAIK, any Dana 44 front used by
GM would have lockouts, or lockouts could be installed. I'm not sure what GM
used for front axles post-1988, but I don't think they're HD 44's- IIRC,
they're a coil sprung, independent suspension type, nothing like a 'normal'
44 you could use under a Travelall.
I promise they are Dana 44s, dana 44s look nothing like a 10 bolt GM. For one thing, a 10 bolt GM has a round cover. BTW, these aren't coil sprung, and remember, we are *not* talking about 1/2 ton pickups.

The 'ONLY' front 44's that I know of
that don't have normal hubs that can take locking hubs are the morphodite
Dodges. Even when Dodge went to front axle disconnects in the mid-80's, it
kept the same outer hub style, just used a chrome 'cover' on the outside to
replace the locking hub assembly since the lock in, lock out function was
done by the axle disconnect.
sure you aren't thinking of the dodge full time units? that's how they worked.

I also don't think GM used front 44's after
about 1977- they went to their own 10 bolt, which uses most of the same
suspension parts (ball joints, locking hubs, etc) as the earlier 44's.
  Dennis

When GM went to the 10 bolt, not all trucks got the 10 bolt, some still got the dana 44, and I want to say that the 3/4 tons got them more than others. Also, remember, the military got whatever it wanted, and if they wanted dana 44s, they'd get them.

Thanks,
Ryan