RE: [ihc] Re: making a 1/2T a 3/4T

Dennis,

Those drums may be cheap.  There was a time when I drove truck for a
living.  Part of the job was doing a lot of the maintenance and repairs
on the truck I drove and the trailer I pulled.  It seems like those
brake drums were around $60 at the time ('96).  Volume figures in I'm
sure, but they must have weighed 60 lbs.

In my job I work closely with the local Sheriff and he has two of the 1
1/4 T pickups. We share equipment very well. At one point, the military
was giving them away to law enforcement agencies if they were going to
use them to combat drugs.  What better to cruise the riverbanks looking
for weed patches?  They actually get used more during snowstorms
anymore.  One of them spent the winter in my shop so I could plug it in
so it would start for a deputy's or my use if the weather got bad.  I
was just underneath it Sunday rewiring the trailer plug to pull a
disaster response trailer (8.5 X 20 cargo).

I agree on the 4.56 gears waking up the 6.2, it does a nice job of
pulling that trailer.  Stops it nicely too, even without a brake
controller yet.  The trailer is empty right now, ~3400 lbs.

Ed