[ihc] Re: making a 1/2T a 3/4T

From: "Dennis Bernth" <scoutdude@domain.elided>
To: <ihc@domain.elided>
CC: <baradium@domain.elided>
Subject: Re: making a 1/2T a 3/4T
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 15:22:40 -0600
<Snip>>
Ryan-
If your 14 bolt is ex-military, it 'should' have come from a CUCV, and it 'should' have 4.56 gears, with a Detroit locker. If the HD 44 fronts you are talking about are ex-military and don't have protruding hubs, they're likely the Dodge 'small wheel bearing' version they used on full time trucks from 73-79. The Dodge CUCV pickups had 4.10 gears front and rear, and used rear Dana 60's. The Chevy CUCV's used 4:56 ratio 14 bolt rears and Dana 60 fronts, except for the Blazers- 10/12 bolt open 3.07's as far as I know. Not saying you 'don't' have 4.10's, but you may want to double check before you source out a front axle and find it doesn't match ratios. If the 14 bolt is a 'civilian' model and is actually 4.10's, it probably has a Gov-Lock posi. Check the web for info on the Gov-loc, I haven't heard too many people that are fond of them, at least not that use them at all hard.
Dennis

The 14 bolt is civilian, it's from a 1 ton 4x4. He had the dana 60 front that went with it, but I wasn't about to pay what he wanted for it. I've heard about the Gov-loc, only way to tell for sure is to open it up, but we were thinking it may be the right year to have a real locker. Again, going to have to open it before I know.

Terminology thing... the dodge 3/4 tons aren't CUCVs, the CUCV is a 1 1/4 ton. There are also 3/4 ton chevy pickups in the military, but they aren't called CUCVs either AFAIK. He said the HD44s and Dana 60s were from 3/4 ton chevys, but I'm not sure so I think it could be either way.

I do know where a CUCV ambulance is for anyone interested, he wants $8000 for it though, it's in really good shape and as an ambulance has a/c and the uprated suspension. I think it'd make a great camper personally. Dang thing looks brand new inside and out.

-Ryan

Find a broadband plan that fits. Great local deals on high-speed Internet access. https://broadband.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-us/go/onm00200360ave/direct/01/