[ihc] Re: Strange Behavior

I've got to second Bob's motion here. I just had to replace a set of Bosch
Lifetime 8mm silicone spiral core wires that were about three years old with
not more than 4,000 miles on them for the same reason. When it was damp out,
it would take 10-15 miles of driving to 'dry' them out to where the truck
would run normally. Then if you let it sit a couple hours in the damp, you
were back at square one. I tried the ignition dryer stuff on the cap, rotor,
distributor itself also with no results, but when I sprayed the wires I got an
improvement. Dunno what ignition setup you're running, but I've got a Crane XR
3000 firing a Crane PS 91 low-e coil, so I'm suspecting that the
hotter-than-normal ignition setup caused the wires to break down enough to be
susceptible to moisture. I just put a new set on, but till the weather breaks
a little I've not driven the truck to see that the problem is solved, but I
suspect that it is. I know the Jacobs wires are supposed to be the hot setup,
but I've not heard a lot of good things about Jacobs or their customer service
since the company was bought out. It's possible that the first set you had
were the really good wires, but maybe the new company is subscribing to the
Autozone code of buying cheap parts, calling them 'lifetime', and hoping
people get tired of replacing them eventually.
Dennis