[ihc] Re: Carhartt Shorts

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Mandera" <tsm1@domain.elided>
To: "Ryan Moore" <baradium@domain.elided>
Cc: "John Hofstetter" <hofs@domain.elided>; "ihc-digest"
<ihc-digest@domain.elided>
Sent: Monday, March 08, 2004 13:11
Subject: Carhartt Shorts

> Ryan Moore wrote:
> > you wear.... shorts?  <g>
> >
> > I just always wear jeans.  I might average a few days a year where I go
> > shorts, but for the most part I avoid them like the plague.  ;)
> >
> > It avoids having to worry about those lobster legs...
>
> Amazingly, Yes.
>
> There was a time it was quite the spectacle if I showed up at RMIHR (or
> other events) in anything but my now-trademark Carhartt jeans (FWIW, my
> second RMIHR I ruined two brand new pairs of "regular" jeans).
>
> But, since finding Carhartt shorts, it's becoming more common.

I do have two pair of Carhartt pants,  one pair of blue jeans (which I'm
wearing right now) and one pair of tan ones.  I don't understand why, but
the tan ones seem a *lot* thicker and heavier constructed than the blue
ones.  They both have the requisite pockets...

> I can still lay heavy/sharp/greasy objects on my legs (restricted to
> just my thigh, of course) without worrying about needing stitches.  I
> can still wipe my hands on my pants with impunity.  And I can still make
> my shorts attempt to hang around my knees by making use of the dozen
> pockets for wrenches and ratchets, and the hammer loop for my handy 3lbs
> sledge.
>
> If RMIHR were held in Fairplay still, I doubt I'd be wearing shorts much.
>
> But, since RMIHR moved to Salida, where it seems to be MUCH hotter than
> Fairplay, I'm forced to sacrifice a little "wrenching functionality" for
> "I'm melting away" functionality.

I never wore shorst the whole time I worked construction... given it wasn't
really all that long, but it was 110 degrees in the shade and I was working
in attics that didn't have ventilation holes even cut in them left.  I don't
think it can get much worse than that...

> The other prime factor to consider, Ryan.. when driving my Travelette
> down the Interstates of Colorado and Utah in late July, towing my car
> trailer, even if you open all 5 windows, you CAN NOT circulate enough
> air in the cabin to make up for the 140-degF radiant heat source in
> front of you and just under you.

Sounds like you need a rear slider...

> Not only did it feel like I was inside an oven.. *I WAS*.
>
> Hmmm.. I wonder if removing the doors would improve the air flow in the
> cabin?  That'd be a lot faster, cheaper and easier than fixing the air
> conditioning.. let me run that by Michelle and see what she thinks.. :D

The travelette I'm trying to obtain has a/c I think... :)    I havn't had
anything with working a/c before though so I don't know what I'd do with it.
The panel has A/C too.

> Oh, wait.. that won't work... I put the stereo speakers in all 4 doors..
> how short-sighted of me!
>
> -Tom Mandera, Helena MT
> http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout

I try to avoid putting speakers in doors, seems to lead to some issues a lot
of times.   Did you put things over the back of them so the water won't hurt
them?

-Ryan

---