Re: [ihc] Special Tools, Obscure tools owned

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, Joel M Brodsky wrote:

> Dennis,
>       I have come to acquire quite the selection of Special tools working
> on out beloved IHs as well as just about everything else.

<snip>

> I thinned out a socket so that I could install hex head bolts instead of
> the regular philips head bolts to hold the pulleys on the IH water
> pumps.

Great Idea!

> A 15/16 socket welded to a flat bar with a hole in the end and 5/16
> allen wrench welded to a small pipe so that the Delco Alternator pulley
> job is a no brainer.

Another good idea for people like me who don't own an air compressors &
impact wrenches.

> How about the step down socket to tighten BMW swing arm pivot nuts?

Ever had center drive shaft bearing support problems? <g>

<snip>

> I subscribe to: "He, who dies with the most TOOLS, wins"
>
> As of late, Hofs has me beat by a mile!

The only IHC specific tool(s) I've had to make was to grind off two SV
bellhousing bolt heads and cut screwdriver slots to make positioning
guides to remount the 727/transfer case.

My entries into the "most obscure tool owned catagory" are:

Husqvarna 400 countershaft pully puller
 (ain't no splines on the shaft - strictly an interference fit)

Go - No Go gauge for Porsche 587/1 engine valve guides
 (didn't want to replace the valve guides so I knurled them)

Most obscure handmade tool:

Handmade valve spring compressor for Porsche 587/1 engine
 (made it in the university art school welding shop)

--
Ted Borck	tborck@domain.elided