Re: [ihc] Starter help 74/75 4wd TA

on 2/23/04 2:16 PM, Joel M Brodsky at jmbrodsky@domain.elided wrote:

> Binders,
> While finishing up my engine swap this weekend, I came to the
> disheartening realization that the NEW (rebuilt) lifetime starter that I
> bought at AutoBone has a sticking solenoid.  When the key is switched to
> the start position the starter continues to run regardless of letting go of
> the key.  Banging on the starter and solenoid with a hammer fixes the
> situation, and is required each time.  This is a 75 150 1/2T 4wd TA
>
> So, does anyone prefer a starter from one place over another?

Does Mean Green make a starter for the pickup and TA, or is it the same
starter?

Actually, it seems that the really sensible thing to do is to have a local
starter/alternator shop rebuild one of yours. It is kind of like having the
machine shop assemble your engine, in that if they screw it up, then they
have to remove, repair, and replace the unit.

Mr. Hernandez is here in Desert Hot Springs and I have a spare starter with
me. If it would fit your TA, I could have him rebuild my unit and bring it
with me to Shoshone.

For those newer digesters, Mr. Hernandez is a local (Cathedral City)
starter/alternator rebuilder who turned out to know a lot more about
alternators than Mean Green, at least at the time.

> replaced the starter in my 3/4 TA (74 200 3/4T 4wd TA) because the old one
> had a bad nose bushing and the 'new' starter no can no longer turn the
> engine over without help from another battery.  Are the chain store
> starters just junk or what?

Yes, indeed.

> Am I just unlucky?

Yes, indeed.

> AND>>.  How does everyone else get to the top bolts on their starters
> on the 74/75 PU and TA.

I used to do it with a long extension, a universal joint and a wobbly
socket. I remember getting it out as being easier than getting it back in.

> I can barely even look at the bolt let alone
> remove it.  Tried and cursed and after an hour of trying to get my 37 inch
> arm to fit into the fender (somehow) I was still unable to free to top
> bolt.
>
> Now, I've done it twice before, but I can't remember.
>
> Anybody, anyone?  Bueller?

Ferris, that is.

John

John Hofstetter