RE: [ihc] Starter help 74/75 4wd TA

## >> Joel:
## >>
## >> Have you tried removing the front tire and going thru the wheel well?

that's kinda sorta how i do it for my '72 TravelAll, myself.  except i don't
remove the wheel.  with the engine running, i just turn the wheels all the
way to the left till they bind up in the suspension, then shut it down, wait
a couple seconds before i release the steering wheel, and that should do it.
gives me enough clearance around the 33" tires that i can get my arm through
the gap between the frame rail and the inner fender.  mine has some of those
rubber mud shield things between frame and fender, so i have to push those
aside to get my arm through.  it's very tight, and i have to use a very
short 5/8" wrench, but that's how it works for me.

i do the top bolt this way first, and then crawl underneath and do the
bottom bolt.  that way i'm not trying to support the starter while getting
the top bolt out.  things are tight enough just getting the bolt...  trying
to deal with a starter ready to fall out while i remove the bolt is too
much.  when putting the starter back in, i just reverse the order.  hold
starter in place and put in the bottom bolt, then go back to the side and
through the fender around the tire to put the top bolt in.  i don't tighten
the bottom bolt all the way, either, so i can adjust the starter in case the
top holes don't quite line up (sometimes they don't), and then tighten the
bottom bolt all the way after the top bolt is in.

once again, my nickel and the usual grain of salt disclaimer.

--Mac

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde
TyrGothi