Re: [ihc] Starter help 74/75 4wd TA

I concur completely with John. I too went through the typical episode with parts store starters, first I thought that a lifetime warrenty was wonderful. Then I got sick and tired or replacing that starter at least every year. Ended up coming into a bunch of used starters for free a couple years ago, those did much better than that "rebuilt" ones. Finally had a need for starters (actually an alternator too) and visited the starter and alternator shop in Spearfish (prototypical small town). Jim had my starters done for me the next day (I wasn't in a hurry and he apoligized for being busy....), I could tell the difference as soon as I installed the first one. Cranking speed was absolutely amasing, not to mention that they have been totally reliable. On the alternator I took him not too long ago, he asked me how many amps I wanted it to put out.... (more is better or course...) The best part is that he's cheaper than the junk parts store units. Hmmmmm, tough decision.....

Dave Nuenke

Actually, it seems that the really sensible thing to do is to have a local
starter/alternator shop rebuild one of yours. It is kind of like having the
machine shop assemble your engine, in that if they screw it up, then they
have to remove, repair, and replace the unit.