[ihc] Postal Mileage, 256/152/345

ken.dunnington wrote:
JSI> In my experience, most IH V8's I have had get at least 10 MPG, and can go up
JSI> to 12-14 pretty easily.  That is pretty poor mileage for a 258, though, it
JSI> seems.  I can understand your concerns!!!

re: 7 mpg 258

I think it's indicative of the use.  Talk about stop-and-go.  Postal
routes are likely to be a worst case scenario in determining fuel
mileage.
It's not often any of my V8s have dropped below 7mpg, even with -20 highs and a lot of warm-up times, stop and go around town, or trail riding - alternately idling all day and 5k RPM drift bashing..

I think the engine needs to be sized to the job you're asking it to do.

With a 196, my Scout II managed 18mpg highway, and about 12mpg in town, until I asked it to push around the same Scout with a 4" lift and 33" tires.. mileage dropped to 12mpg highway and not enough umph to push past 65mph.

The 304 I replaced the 196 with got 14mpg highway at faster speeds.. the 345 I upgraded to from the 304.. it got 16mpg at 70mph, with the same Scout, same lift, same top, same tires, same gear ratios..

All of the V8s seem to average 8-10mpg when just puttering around town, or when trail riding.