Re: [ihc] differential bearings

Greg's idea of making the notches larger is very good, I might try that myself next time.

Check out Randy's Ring and Pinion site for How to tips.

I used old bearings that are in good condition to make setup bearings to slip on and off easily:

http://users3.ev1.net/~jlidberg/pics/rebuild_axles/hone_bearing01l.jpg

I used a cheap Harbor Freight bearing splitter and puller to pull the bearings off. The splitter might press onto the
cage, and it might explode and maim you. Perhaps modify the splitter so it grabs only the inner race? But I did not,
and don't recommend modifying any tool. I was amazed that the cheap tools didn't crack apart and pop my eyes out. I
used a very heavy blanket over the parts to try to slow down metal shreds from tearing into my body. Luckily nothing
bad happened. Perhaps warm up the bearings on the diff with a propane torch, to expand them a bit so they slip off a
little easier?

http://users3.ev1.net/~jlidberg/pics/rebuild_axles/pull_front_diff_bearing_2l.JPG
http://users3.ev1.net/~jlidberg/pics/rebuild_axles/pull_front_diff_bearing_closeup_2l.jpg

And I cut up an old bearing to use the inner race as a press driver tool to drive on the new diff carrier bearings:

http://users3.ev1.net/~jlidberg/pics/rebuild_axles/making_bearing_press_tool_from_old_bearingl.jpg

here is how I pulled the pinion bearings:
http://users3.ev1.net/~jlidberg/pics/rebuild_axles/rear_tracloc_pulling_pinion_bearing_01l.jpg

- Jim in Mesa