Re: [ihc] differential bearings

At 6:58 PM -0600 12/15/03, Steve Jackson wrote:
Let me start by saying thanks to everyone on this mailing list.  What a
great resource!  If I didn't have access to all y'alls collective
wisdom, I'd probably be driving a showroom jeep.

OK, so here's a question.  I'm putting a new rear differential in a Dana
44 on my '72 Scout II.  I'm having one problem however.  How can one
pull the bearings off the differential without destroying them?  I need
to determine backlash and find the correct shim combination, but it
requires some measurements without shims.  Then, I have to pull the
bearings, install the shims, and install the differential.  Other than
having the special tool that is illustrated in the manual (a 2-jaw
puller with a special jig for "craddling" the bearing) how can you get
those bearings off without breaking them?
I think some parts houses rent or loan the tool you need. I've never rented or borrowed one, but I think they are available.

John
--
John Hofstetter
www.goldrush.com/~hofs