[ihc] differential bearings

Let me start by saying thanks to everyone on this mailing list.  What a
great resource!  If I didn't have access to all y'alls collective
wisdom, I'd probably be driving a showroom jeep.

OK, so here's a question.  I'm putting a new rear differential in a Dana
44 on my '72 Scout II.  I'm having one problem however.  How can one
pull the bearings off the differential without destroying them?  I need
to determine backlash and find the correct shim combination, but it
requires some measurements without shims.  Then, I have to pull the
bearings, install the shims, and install the differential.  Other than
having the special tool that is illustrated in the manual (a 2-jaw
puller with a special jig for "craddling" the bearing) how can you get
those bearings off without breaking them?

I've tried using a 3-jaw puller (one "jaw" snapped without moving the
bearing a milimeter), prying with screwdrivers, and doing a special
bearing removal dance.  None of these approaches have worked!  Where can
I get the special tool?  Is there an alternative?  Does anyone in DFW
have experience doing this and would they be willing to help me out for
some kind of reimbursement?