Re: [ihc] Info sought on rear gas tank setups for trucks

----- Original Message -----
From: "John M. Adams" <jma@domain.elided>
To: <ihc-digest@domain.elided>
Cc: "Ryan Moore" <baradium@domain.elided>; "Rocky Lear"
<rockylear@domain.elided>
Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 12:16
Subject: RE: [ihc] Info sought on rear gas tank setups for trucks

<snip>

> Here's some info from the MT-118 parts manual (1965, 66, 67 trucks):
>
> 14, 15, 17, & 19 gallon tanks were available, with all four sizes used as
> side mount tanks, and the last three sizes (although in a different
> configuration) available for the rear mount. On my '67 TA, there's a 19
> gallon main, and a 14 gallon auxiliary tank. I've never seen a truck with
> the rear access panel, but I see a diagram of a TA with one in the book.
>
> This doesn't address Ryan's original '72 related question, but it seems
> unlikely that 100 gallon capacity would be a factory option. I bet that's
an
> aftermarket configuration. Notice I'm not betting money, though...
>
> -John A.

I've been told that from the factory, in a travelall, you could get the
following.   Primary tank is the driver's rear tank, they all have those
(the panel is a single tank truck at the moment so it only has that one).
Then the first aux tank was the passenger side front.  Second aux tank you
could get was driver's front, which was a lot bigger money than the first
because of dealing wtih 3 tanks instead of 2.  I was told that the rear
driver's tank can be flipped around and that tank was used as the third aux
tank in the passenger rear, replacing the spare tire (which would then go
underneath).  Then there was the dealer installed tank in between the frame
rails in the back which filled through the floor, putting the spare back
inside, but not in it's well.  I was told that the four outer tanks were
factory options, as well as dealer options, but not common at all.

I personally wonder about the dimensions of the tanks the new Suburbans
use... they have a 50 gallon fuel capacity.  That has got to be one big
tank...  but I wonder if it could work in an IH application.  Make that
former primary tank in the quarter panel an aux, or just delete it all
together and use the stock filler location for the center hung tank.

Regardless, the panel needs new front fenders, so while I'm at it, I'd like
to at least get *one* extra tank put in there.  A driver's side fill would
be nice, but that'd probobly cause it to lean under full fuel... of course I
could always upgrade to 3/4 ton suspension too... and other neat toys... if
I ever find a specific junkyard open during Christmas break I'm going to be
checking out a travelall as a possible donor, don't remember the specific
condition of those pieces though.

And what's with people always being surprised about working gas guages in an
IH?  Dagnabbit, I'm going to have working gas guages in that panel before
I'm through with it (I'm hoping that the original actually works right now).

-Ryan