RE: [ihc] New member with Travelall

The tail end opening on the 60s models with barndoors isn't the same as the
ones with tailgates. In other words, you couldn't just drill holes for
hinges and install a set of doors into your existing opening. The frame is
different back there, and is integrated into the whole left and right panel
assembly, all the way around to the front doors. I know you said you're
looking for a whole back end, but I'm having trouble imagining how you would
do that without major reconstruction. Almost better to find another truck to
start with. But then, there's a lot of jobs that are way beyond my comfort
level... As to rarity, I guess they are (they were a downgrade option that
most buyers didn't take), but both my old '64 and my current '67 have them,
and I've seen more than a few others over the years.

> It appears that I have some rust in the cowl. How hard is it to fix
> this? The drivers side vent is just sort of hanging there and I know
> I'll want to do a better fix than the duct tape that is now keeping the
> draft off my legs.

First step, if you haven't already done it, is to clean out the cowl. The
amount of stuff that accumulates in there is amazing. If you don't get it
out, it will just hold moisture and continue to be a drainage / rust
problem. Take the grill off just in front of the windshield, and after you
figure out you can't get your arms in there far enough, invent something
that will allow retrieval of the guck (dirt, leaves, road grime...) I used a
mechanic's spring-grip retrieval tool, shop vac, and a water hose with high
pressure spray nozzle. (Take anything out of the cab you don't want to get
wet...) I'm still working on how to get access for repair of the rusty vent
"tubes". I'll need to remove the heater and the glove box for the passenger
side, and the dash face for the driver. Maybe the whole dash. And even with
that, I'm scheming on cutting access panels into the front of the cowl near
the hood hinges. I have to figure out how to do that without weakening the
hinge point...

Well, there's my 2 cents. Hopefully, other, smarter digesters will chime in
as well...  -John A.

---