Re: [ihc] Re: Neutral Safety Switch

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Hofstetter" <hofs@domain.elided>
To: <DORKIEST@domain.elided>; <ihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Saturday, November 29, 2003 23:35
Subject: [ihc] Re: Neutral Safety Switch

<snip>
> Scott,
>
> As I think you know, the neutral safety switch and the back up lights
> are different components of the same switch.  My reverse lighting
> works fine. I had the tranny rebuilt about 6 months ago, and the
> rebuilder didn't realize the neutral safety switch was bad. I should
> have told him and had him change it while it was out.
>
> Let's see,  the safety switch part must be stuck in the closed
> position since it starts in any gear. Does that sound right to you?
>
> John
> --
> John Hofstetter
> www.goldrush.com/~hofs

Depends, is your's bypassed or just not working?  If it's bypassed it's the
relay under the dash taken out of the loop (most likely) so it could be the
relay, the tranny switch, or the wiring).

On my scout, when the relay or switch finally did fail, and I bypassed the
relay under the dash, the problem I'd been having with starting in general
dissapeared.  I'd been having a problem where that relay would click under
the dash, but the signal wouldn't be strong enough to engage the starter.
Now it's plenty strong and she starts right up.  I see the bypassing I did
as increasing the viability of my scout as a daily driver/ only vehicle.

-Ryan