[ihc] Re: Neutral Safety Switch

> Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 20:25:27 EST
> From: DORKIEST@domain.elided
> Subject: [ihc] Re: Neutral Safety Switch

Look at the plug and the wires leading to it.  Most of the ones I have
seen have not weathered the last 20+ years well (due to melting, fraying,
cutting, corrosion, or other deformity) and need to be replaced.  You can
replace the plug with a new one from ScoutParts.  They can get the switch
too.  If they are not sure what you are talking about, tell them to call
me, and I will point them in the right direction.  I bought one of the
pigtails from them (PN 98-7891), so I know they can get them.
The switch is activated inside the case by a curved plastic piece
(usually green, brown, black, or sort of a yellowed clear color) that is
attached to the "cock's comb" on the valve body.  You have to remove the
pan to see it.  That plastic piece is what moves the switch when it is
shifted.  I have seen very worn out valve bodies that have the cocks comb
skewed so that it will not hit the switch right, so make sure that is not
the problem.  If it is, there are two things you can do to fix it.  Of
course, if the former owner or transmission shop replaced the valve body
with an older one, the cocks comb is completely absent, so the switch
will not work either.  If it is not there, you need to get the right
valve body.  Also, the switches do go bad, either by cracking or getting
corroded.  Check the switch with an ohmmeter to make sure, or get a new
one.  Lastly, if the pigtail is not obviously ruined, check continuity
between the contacts in the pigtail and junctions with the reverse light
circuit and the ignition lockout circuit.
-Colin Rush

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!