Re: [ihc] Converting a 74-75 to a 69-73.. V-400

> I wonder if there were any 4X4 401s.  I've never seen one, just 3 2wds and
> heard of about 4 other 2wds

Hmm.. I know of another 2wd '74 401 T'all in Missoula, too..

>    I *had*
>> replaced the rear pinion seal some time ago, but it's been leaking
>> again.
>> :(
>
> Speedy sleeve or new yoke time, if it isn't toast already.

Awfully noisy.. :D

> 2wd and 4wd mounts are different? I didn't know that.  Mark Korsten looked

Yep.  I didn't know that either, but the frame side is VERY different.

The 2wd/IFS trucks have the motor mounts as part of the IFS crossmember.
The 4x4 motor mounts are more like a hunk of angle hung off the side of
the frame.

The IFS mounts can be removed from the IFS x-member, but then the lower
half "floats" and you'll need to fab something up to secure it.  I have
some pictures.

Try - http://tigger.tmcom.com/~tsm1/gallery/album02/DCP_0079  for my IFS
engine bay.

And for Mark/Kathy's 4x4 -

http://tigger.tmcom.com/~tsm1/gallery/album05/DCP_0027
http://tigger.tmcom.com/~tsm1/gallery/album05/DCP_0028

> You don't need the '74/'75 bellhousing crossmember.  I pitched mine, I
> think
> Joel B said he pitched his, Dan P did without too.  It seems to only be
> there to protect the front brake hardline, catch gravel and oil and
> totally
> prohibit you from getting at the flywheel shield bolts.   I ran my
> hardline
> across the other crossmember, under the motor.  Maybe that it the one they
> did without.  Oh, to get old and forgetful.

I thought it was the under-engine-xmember they all dumped..

>> OTOH, I have the dogbone mounts and a bellhousing *motor mount* x-member
>> for a 69-73, not counting the parts in my '72.
>

> Is it pretty easy to mount the *motor mount* crossmember to a '74/'75
> frame?
> You've found it makes exaust routing harder.  By no means impossible, just
> harder than without it.

It looks like it was easy.. I didn't do it, of course.

And it doesn't make the exhaust routing harder - STOCK.  The stock 74/75
"stiffener" x-member looks to just be half of the "mounting" x-member used
from 69-73.  It's the top half.

My exhaust goes from the rear dumps through the "X" formed at the edge
where the crossmember halves mount to the top and bottom of the frame.

The problem comes in with the headers, which can't be installed with the
bottom half of the "X" in place, and the fact that the bellhousing mounts
raises the tail of the engine up an inch or three, causing the passenger
side header to hit the firewall/floor.

>> I have the 3.73 D60 rear from that truck, and a Chevy 3.73 6-lug D44,
>> AND
>> the 8-lug outers from a Chevy 10-bolt.  The plan was to make an 8-lug
>> Chevy 3.73 D44, and put it and the 3.73 IH D60 rear under my '74
>> single-cab pickup.. but maybe this T'all would be a better choice.
>>

> How are you set for springs and hangers?

I have just enough to convert my T'ette over.. I'm short springs and
hangers for this Travelall, should I get it, but since I really want to
make the T'ette the priority this winter, I have some time. :)

I have one set of the 74/75 front and rear (front spring) hangers, and a
set of 3500lbs leaf springs.

One 74/75 NP205 and crossmember, one "tailhousing" tranny mount, one
"bellhousing" stiffener, one intermediate driveshaft, and one front
driveshaft.. all slated for my Travelette.

So I'll more or less need to come by another parts donor to convert this
Travelall.

Maybe I'll get lucky and make the 401 run and just drive it IFS 2wd for a
while.

NOT.. I never get off that easy.. (well, there was the $200 '72 T'all I'm
still drving..)