Re: [ihc] Converting a 74-75 to a 69-73.. V-400

> Yep.  I didn't know that either, but the frame side is VERY different.
>
> The 2wd/IFS trucks have the motor mounts as part of the IFS crossmember.
> The 4x4 motor mounts are more like a hunk of angle hung off the side of
> the frame.
>
> The IFS mounts can be removed from the IFS x-member, but then the lower
> half "floats" and you'll need to fab something up to secure it.  I have
> some pictures.
>
> Try - http://tigger.tmcom.com/~tsm1/gallery/album02/DCP_0079  for my IFS
> engine bay.
>
> And for Mark/Kathy's 4x4 -
>
> http://tigger.tmcom.com/~tsm1/gallery/album05/DCP_0027
> http://tigger.tmcom.com/~tsm1/gallery/album05/DCP_0028

Heck, you can MAKE that.

> I thought it was the under-engine-xmember they all dumped..

I think you are right.  I did it the other way, ditched the wimpy one and
kept the beefy one. But I was running new brakelines anyway.

> And it doesn't make the exhaust routing harder - STOCK.  The stock 74/75
> "stiffener" x-member looks to just be half of the "mounting" x-member used
> from 69-73.  It's the top half.

Harder than wide open spaces.

> I have just enough to convert my T'ette over.. I'm short springs and
> hangers for this Travelall, should I get it, but since I really want to
> make the T'ette the priority this winter, I have some time. :)
>
> I have one set of the 74/75 front and rear (front spring) hangers, and a
> set of 3500lbs leaf springs.
>
> One 74/75 NP205 and crossmember, one "tailhousing" tranny mount, one
> "bellhousing" stiffener, one intermediate driveshaft, and one front
> driveshaft.. all slated for my Travelette.
>
> So I'll more or less need to come by another parts donor to convert this
> Travelall.

You might have to make the Travelall a back burner project or not buy it yet
and wait for the price to go down.

> Maybe I'll get lucky and make the 401 run and just drive it IFS 2wd for a
> while.

Which is fun to do,  they ride nice and you have other 4wds if the weather
warrants.

> NOT.. I never get off that easy..

Do any of us?

Ed