Re: [ihc] Converting a 74-75 to a 69-73.. V-400

> Tom,
>
> I've never seen or heard of  a 401 4X4 travelall/pickup. Not that I have
> seen or heard of many 401s. I wonder how many 4X4 401s were made.

My understanding is IH substituted the "V-400" (AMC 401) in some pickups
and Travelalls due to a shortage of 392s - the medium duties got priority.

Note that the T'all I'm looking at is a 2wd IFS coil truck at the moment..

> Have you considered swapping bodies with your '72?  'Course then you would
> have to swap axles too.

I have some concerns about the rear end in my '72.. it had been howling
lightly for a while.. yesterday, as I drove it into town with the intent
of wrenching on it for a bit and seeing what was what, it howled/whined
worse than ever.. about 2 quarts of gear oil later (D'oh) it's a little
quieter, but still awfully noisy.  It's likely the rear-end, but I think
I'll pull the rear 'shaft and see if it's not the '205..   I *had*
replaced the rear pinion seal some time ago, but it's been leaking again.
:(

I'm also not excited to move bodies around.  Wrenching on a T'all wasn't
part of my winter project plans. :)  I have a Travelette I keep wanting to
finish..

> I would be hesitant to move the motor foreword, especially if I had all
> correct parts to do it stock. '

Well, I *don't* have all of the correct parts.  I need to source some 4x4
motor mounts for my T'ette still.  I'll need to find a second set for this
T'all, along with the bell-housing crossmember and tail-housing tranny
mount x-member.

OTOH, I have the dogbone mounts and a bellhousing *motor mount* x-member
for a 69-73, not counting the parts in my '72.

> the brownie in if you wanted to.   FWIW, I run my '74 with no shroud and
> have had no problems.

With my tired 345, my '74 T'ette had little problems cooling w/o a
shroud.. NOT so with the 392.  Oh boy.

> like or give you IH casting numbers off of them.  Heck I'll even send them
> to you if you send me your set of spare rear dumps <g>.

:D  I'll pass, but thanks! :D  I thought I had two sets of extra rear
dumps still ( a third set went to Greg H.), but the manifold broke in half
when I pulled it from my spare IC392.

> Too bad you got rid of your '74 200 front end.

That front end still needed $500 in parts to be useable.

I have the 3.73 D60 rear from that truck, and a Chevy 3.73 6-lug D44, AND
the 8-lug outers from a Chevy 10-bolt.  The plan was to make an 8-lug
Chevy 3.73 D44, and put it and the 3.73 IH D60 rear under my '74
single-cab pickup.. but maybe this T'all would be a better choice.

In any case, I can buy another Chevy 8-lug front end, complete, for less
than the price of rotors for the 200 front end I traded away.  Probably
get a 14-bolt rear thrown in, too. :)

> The weather lately has been just right for wrenching.  Do you think a '73
> 1010 Travelall would be cool with a 266?  Good for bombing around using up
> 266 and wearing out some stockish tires I'll bet.  I can just leave the
> fishing rods and fencing tools in it all the time.

Sounds good to me, Ed!

My T'all makes a good substitution for scaffolding, too.. use it for a
portable wind-break.. or just leave it to fishing duty.. it just seems
wrong to let those pieces n' parts lie around and rot, doesn't it? :D