Re: [ihc] Converting a 74-75 to a 69-73.. V-400

> Note that the T'all I'm looking at is a 2wd IFS coil truck at the moment..

I wonder if there were any 4X4 401s.  I've never seen one, just 3 2wds and
heard of about 4 other 2wds

   I *had*
> replaced the rear pinion seal some time ago, but it's been leaking again.
> :(

Speedy sleeve or new yoke time, if it isn't toast already.

> I'm also not excited to move bodies around.  Wrenching on a T'all wasn't
> part of my winter project plans. :)  I have a Travelette I keep wanting to
> finish..

Yup, doesn't sound like fun to me either.

> Well, I *don't* have all of the correct parts.  I need to source some 4x4
> motor mounts for my T'ette still.  I'll need to find a second set for this
> T'all, along with the bell-housing crossmember and tail-housing tranny
> mount x-member.

2wd and 4wd mounts are different? I didn't know that.  Mark Korsten looked
at my setup with Scout II mounts at Sunflower last year.  We noticed I was
missing a couple bolts, oops.  I think I will go to the correct mounts when
I switch motors someday.

You don't need the '74/'75 bellhousing crossmember.  I pitched mine, I think
Joel B said he pitched his, Dan P did without too.  It seems to only be
there to protect the front brake hardline, catch gravel and oil and totally
prohibit you from getting at the flywheel shield bolts.   I ran my hardline
across the other crossmember, under the motor.  Maybe that it the one they
did without.  Oh, to get old and forgetful.

> OTOH, I have the dogbone mounts and a bellhousing *motor mount* x-member
> for a 69-73, not counting the parts in my '72.

Is it pretty easy to mount the *motor mount* crossmember to a '74/'75 frame?
You've found it makes exaust routing harder.  By no means impossible, just
harder than without it.

> With my tired 345, my '74 T'ette had little problems cooling w/o a
> shroud.. NOT so with the 392.  Oh boy.

Dang hi-po motors.

> I have the 3.73 D60 rear from that truck, and a Chevy 3.73 6-lug D44, AND
> the 8-lug outers from a Chevy 10-bolt.  The plan was to make an 8-lug
> Chevy 3.73 D44, and put it and the 3.73 IH D60 rear under my '74
> single-cab pickup.. but maybe this T'all would be a better choice.

How are you set for springs and hangers?

> My T'all makes a good substitution for scaffolding, too.. use it for a
> portable wind-break.. or just leave it to fishing duty.. it just seems
> wrong to let those pieces n' parts lie around and rot, doesn't it? :D

Sure does.

Ed