Re: electrical stumper - I respond to my own post

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Camery" <jcamery@domain.elided>
To: <ihc-digest@domain.elided>
Sent: Monday, July 28, 2003 09:16
Subject: electrical stumper - I respond to my own post

> 'bout a week ago I asked for help solving an odd short in my '67
> travelall.  The problem was that the brake light/horn fuse would blow
> when the ignition was turned to 'start'.  I could put a fresh fuse in
> once the truck was running, and everything would be fine.
>
> I didn't solve it, but I solved it.  It's not marked on the fuse block,
> but dome light runs off that fuse also.  I had been working from a 'b'
> series wiring diagram, where the dome light runs off something else.
> Apparently there's a short in one of door switches or the light switch
> or somewhere, but simply snipping the dome light wire at the fuse fixed
> the fuse from blowing.

The short will be in the hot wire from the fuse to the light.  All the
switches etc only provide a ground if they are like any other's I've seen.
Thus if the short was after the light it would not blow the fuse, just turn
it on.

Also... why when starting the engine?  The light should be able to be turned
on at any time... I'd say maybe a worn through insulator contacting another
wire which is in the ignition system causing the problem.  Since only during
start, something that is only activated in the S mode... wiring that goes to
the starter?

-Ryan