Underhood Temps

Anyone ever measure their underhood temperatures near the firewall?

I'm investigating some barrier material to affix to the firewall of my
Travelette.  It's rated for 180F - "contact" I think - and 300F with an
air space.

IIRC, I have a 185 RS 'stat for the new motor, so that's where the engine
should be.. but I've never bothered to take a reading of the engine bay
after a few hours of towing before.

I'm wondering if the 300F rating is adequate.  I'm sure Michelle will
appreciate a quieter and cooler interior next month. :D

I clean and start fitting the rings to the block tonight and then it'll
start coming together soon..

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://tigger.tmcom.com/~tsm1/postnuke
'74 Travelette 200 longbox.. waiting for it's 406..