Re: rear end problem (scout rear end, haha)

Subject:        	rear end problem (scout rear end, haha)
From:           	"Steve Jackson" <sjackson@domain.elided>
> According to the lineset ticket, it has a Trac-Lok in the rear.

That name is incorrect - it is correctly called a CRACK-LOC or TRASH-LOK:)

  My
> first question is how can I confirm that the Trac-Lok is still installed
> (any photos, numbers that should be on the carrier, etc)?

uh by the broken teeth and cracked housing?? :(

http://users3.ev1.net/~jlidberg/traclok/traclok03_l.jpg

and also files

04 05 10 and 12

 My second
> question is, where can I get a replacement Trac-Lok and how difficult
> would it be to install?

I rebuilt one once, now I would just buy a new one for 200 - 250.

any light line vendor, mail order places in 4X4 magazines, local axle and gear vendors.

Here in Mesa I live only a mile or two from FlyNHi, Desert Rat, 4 Wheel Wholesalers, and Macromotive Offroad
Unlimited.

I choose to drive 30 miles into Phoenix to buy such parts at 4 Wheelers Supply because of their in depth knowledge
and parts inventories, especially of HD gears bearings Dana stuff in general.

  I'm guessing you just pull out the axles,
> remove the diff carrier, put the ring gear on the new Trac-Lok and
> reinstall it?  Any other ideas on what to check?

New diff bearings, new axle bearings and seals. Maybe new pinion bearings and seal, check for roughness after
cleaning and re-lube. Magnetic fill plug or glue magnet on diff cover

Lots of cleaning of the inside of the diff

get all the crunchy stuff out for sure

  Gracias.

Jim In Mesa - James Lidberg
jameslidberg@domain.elided
'79 Scout II/4X4/345/Edelbrock 1400/727/D20/3.07 open/PS/PB/4"Trailmaster
Copyright 2003 All rights reserved