Re: rear end problem (scout rear end, haha)

Steve, I just lost the rear in my suburban. If the
spiders have teeth missing, I'll bet you have a bigger
problem. Unless the teeth were laying in the bottom of
the diff, which i highly doubt, they were ground up.
That stuff will eat bearings & such,  so your bearings
will probably need replacing, as well as the ring &
pinion. It might look fine, but that can be
misleading. We thought the ring & pinion were okay in
my burb as did the guy at the tranny shop who opened
it up. But on further inspection, it wasn't fine. Of
course, it had about 60 miles on it with it whining.
My spider gears were just pitted, and a carrier
bearing was bad, but it took everything with it. I
suggest you have a reputable shop. or at least a
mechanic who has experience with rear ends take it
apart, and check it out.
As far as putting it back together, it has to be set
up right, or it can whine and or eat parts within the
first few thousand miles. Might try to find a good
used rear end with the same ratio. That's what I had
the shop do, and it's going to save several hundred
dollars. I just had the shop get the used rear from
someone he knows & trusts. Also, if you have a shop do
it, you can usually get a waranty. I hope to get it
back tomorrow or friday.

Mark, who's about $800 poorer after parts & labor on
the rear & resealing the transfer case.

--- Steve Jackson <sjackson@domain.elided> wrote:
> Hey guys, I'm having a little problem with the rear
> Dana 44 axle on my
> '72 Scout II (345, 4x4, 727 transmission, blah,
> blah).  I was turning a
> corner yesterday and the rear end started popping
> and making scary
> noises.  I took the diff cover off and noticed the
> little gears inside
> the diff (spider gears?) had some teeth missing.
>

> The ring and pinion gears are fine, but those little
> gears are binding
> when the rear wheels are spinning in opposite
> directions.  Sometimes, it
> even locks up so that the wheels will only spin
> forward or only in
> reverse.
>

> According to the lineset ticket, it has a Trac-Lok
> in the rear.  My
> first question is how can I confirm that the
> Trac-Lok is still installed
> (any photos, numbers that should be on the carrier,
> etc)?  My second
> question is, where can I get a replacement Trac-Lok
> and how difficult
> would it be to install?  I'm guessing you just pull
> out the axles,
> remove the diff carrier, put the ring gear on the
> new Trac-Lok and
> reinstall it?  Any other ideas on what to check?
Gracias.