Re: Scott Satterlund, RIP

On Wednesday, June 25, 2003, at 07:47  AM, T.R.E. Jr. wrote:

 Earl, from the few times I talked to him, I know he knew the
bond between a man and his IH and the extent we would all go to do
womething
to benefit the user or machine.
What I appreciated most about Scott was that he had come from a IH
background. He often mentioned his fathers or grandfathers dealership
and drew useful information from that experience as a boy.

Howard, Earl, and JG provide that same kind of link with the past, so
you three, take good care of yourselves. I dont want to lose another
of those links.  Mind you, its not that I care anything about any of
you three, but a link is a link and is not to be taken lightly.

Along those lines, some of you will remember that I bought my Terra
from a rural dealer 6 years after IH had gone out of the light vehicle
business. That dealer, a good friend,  was a young red headed
firecracker who had used this Terra as his personal commute vehicle and
then had parked it in his vacant parking lot.  Every year for 6 years,
I would go in and find out what he wanted for the deteriorating Terra.
The 6th year he told me $1500, I offered $1000, and he took it to get
rid of me. Anyway, his sister was his partner in the business, and
provided the stability for the business to sustain itself.  After the
IH dealership closed, they started an ambulance service which she ran.

Yesterday, her husband bought a motor home and began a conversion to
put a  hospital bed in the RV, oxygen in the rear storage area, a
wheelchair-lift up to the floor level.  She has cancer of the lung and
the brain, and they are going to spend her last days touring the
country.  Sad as that may be to us who cared for her, it seems to me
they are ending her life with a flourish.

Dont draw any false conclusions from the fact that in two weeks were
heading East for our big IH loop.

John Hofstetter