RE: Mac's Starter

## >> A few years back, Steve S. messed around with heat shields,
## >> but I dont
## >> remember what he came up with. As I was telling Pete a couple of days
## >> ago, I welded washers on my earless heat shield and put it back on.
## >> Personally, I KNOW it is very important to the life of the
## >> not-too-durable Delco solenoid and starter.

having eaten as many starters in the TravelAll as i have, i must agree.
this is my first experience with a heat-related problem, though.  the 1010
never had anything like this problem, and it's got all the same stuff.  it's
the same year, same engine, same transmission, same dual-exhaust setup, same
tranny oil cooler, same tow package...  that one has never had such
problems.  i wonder if the difference between the frames (box frame for the
1010 versus channel frame for the 1110) or perhaps the IFS versus 4x4 might
have anything to do with it.  the driveline and pumpkin up front are forward
a few inches and a goodly distance directly below the starter.  might that
make a difference?

## >> At the time Steve was looking, I saw a heat jacket of sorts on a Delco
## >> starter lying on a counter in a parts house. Parts guy told me it was
## >> going in a racer. Might look in Summit racing.

i'll be looking around.  i don't have a lot of available resources here on
post, but i might be able to fab something up while i look for what i want.
maybe see if they'll donate some of the scrap metal from Becca's motorpool
to my cause.  i'm not giving up, though.  heat shields are going in all
three trucks.  period.

## >> The heat is not supposed to bother my Mean Green starter, but I still
## >> want that heat shield in place. No, I dont recommend Mac buy a Mean
## >> Green, at least not until his ship comes in. It must be getting close
## >> to port by now, Mac.

well, funny you should mention that.  my ship came in...  years ago.  i
missed the boat, that's all.  do we get more than one ship in our lives, do
you think?

eventually i'd like to get a Mean Green, but there are so many other things
that need attention, time, and money.  Mean Green hardware is just going to
have to way for another year.  or decade.  i'll keep them in mind, though,
and maybe eventually that's what i'll get.

--Mac

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde
TyrGothi