Re: Mac's Starter

Mac-

Getting a mean green starter for your application is silly. Carry a spare
starter under the seat. If you intend to fix the 800 up for serious trail
riding, a mean green is a good investment, just like EFI and a better
cooling package, but not for a daily driver. They cost 6 times as much as a
rebuilt starter, and a starter will last many years under normal use.

In spite of what anybody thinks, I will stick to my opinion that paying for
a mean green alternator is a bad idea. The fact that I know of ONE that
failed tells me that having a stock trail spare (and a spare regulator just
for giggles and grins) is a much better idea.

As Jim Lidberg posted earlier, Checker lists a starter shield for 6 bucks.
Go to the local checker and ask to see one. Maybe it will fit. Maybe it will
BEND to fit. Maybe you will look at it and say, "oh, no, that's that thing
I've been using to keep the hamster cage closed."

-Allan