RE: Mac's Starter (kinda long)

## >> I've found a local shop that is reasonable, quick, and
## >> knowledgeable. They
## >> do it right the first time, and they appreciate it when
## >> people ask them to
## >> use their best judgement. So far I have had an alternator for
## >> my daughter's
## >> Mercedes rebuilt for 50 bucks when it was over 200 at Napa, and two IH
## >> starters done for about 45 each. They even recognized that it
## >> was the IH
## >> version of a GM starter. Next I will start with the alternators I have
## >> laying around.

if i can find a place around El Paso that will do that sort of thing, or
even in Las Cruces, then that's what i'd much prefer.  so far i haven't
heard anything good about any local shops, so i'm still looking.  the shop i
took my starters to in Fresno was VERY good.  they rebuilt the same
alternator twice (i shorted it out twice) for $25 each go, where everybody
else in town wanted $190 or more to work on it.  they charged me $75 apiece
for my two starters this last go, but both of them were pretty badly mauled.
in the past they've charged me anywhere from $40 to $75 to rebuild.  and i
never paid more than $50 to have an alternator rebuilt, regardless of what
it came out of or how much amperage or anything else.  sounds like your shop
is as good and maybe better than the shop i was using.

i hope i can find a shop like that around here.  for anyone in the Fresno
County area, passing through Fresno, whatever, and needs starter or
alternator work, it's "Cozby's Rebuilding" on McKinley Avenue just west of
Freeway 41, north side of the street.

## >> This is like a breath of fresh air compared to the shop I
## >> have been using.
## >> That guy keeps trying to talk me out of my cores. Not my idea
## >> of a smart
## >> move when I need several spares to cover the fleet.

agreed.  i despise handing in my cores when i replace starters.  i'd rather
pay the core charge and keep the starter, have it rebuilt.  but core charges
are climbing quickly, and i'm not sure i can afford to hang onto my cores
anymore.  <sigh>  we'll see what the cost is for a Checker starter without
core, and if it's ten or fifteen bucks or less, i may just keep my core.
that will give me two spares again thta i can have rebuilt and keep on hand,
both *hopefully* better than the "cheapie" Checker starter.

--Mac

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde
TyrGothi